Photography Workshops and Tours
Shetzers Photography specializes in small photography workshops with groups as small as two (2), and never more than six (6) photographers per guide. We lead workshops to some of the most beautiful locations in the world and specialize in wildlife photography where small groups are best as they don’t impact the wildlife. Please contact us if you would like to discuss an upcoming photography workshop.
Grizzly Bears of Alaska
July 28-August 3, 2013
$4695 USD PP
Maximum of 6 attendees – Space Available
Join us for an adventure of a lifetime photographing Alaskan Grizzly Bears in the pristine wilderness of Lake Clark National Park, Alaska.
The tour begins in Anchorage, Alaska as we meet at our hotel and get to know each other over dinner and discuss the exciting plans for the coming week and what to expect when photographing the bears.
The next morning we head out early for our charted flight (hour and fifteen minute flight time) to the breathtaking Lake Clark National Park, in the remote Alaskan back country. Enjoy the beauty of Alaska by air as we take in the views of Mt. Redoubt, Mt. Iliamna and Mt. Augustine if we are blessed with clear skies. As the aircraft lands on the beach we are greeted by our hosts at one of the premier lodges at Silver Salmon Creek. We are then transported by ATV with our luggage to the lodge and oriented to the area. Once settled, we will head out with our bear guide for our first day of photographing the grizzly bears/brown bears in their natural habitat either on foot or with ATV support.
Why do we go to Lake Clark? Besides it being a photographer’s paradise? The bears are protected in the park and have not been hunted by man, therefore are habituated to us as we are not a threat. Because of this, they act naturally and display their natural behaviors such as sows nursing their young cubs, fishing in the streams, clam digging in the tidal flats, siblings playing with each other, males establishing dominance and a maybe a little mating. In addition, Lake Clark does not have any crowds, boardwalks, viewing platforms, etc. It’s just beautiful landscapes, scenic mountains with bears as your subjects.
Once at the beautiful lodge, we will spend the next five days devoted to capturing images of these beautiful creatures in the Alaska wild, enjoying great meals at the lodge and discussing different photography techniques to improve the quality of our images. In addition to bears we might see eagles, moose, harbor seal and wolves.
During the workshop, we will discuss subjects in detail, such as:
- Achieving the best composition
- Proper exposure for the scene
- Focus techniques for that crisp image
- Getting the most out of the histogram
- Mastering the modes (When to shoot Manual, Aperture and Shutter priorities)
- Filters for the digital age. Split ND filters and polarizer’s
- Taking images for HDR (High Dynamic Range)
- Image workup techniques with Photoshop. Each workshop we demonstrate working up attendee images from scratch, displaying our nondestructive techniques to produce the highest quality image.
- Group reviews – Review select images from each photographer offering new ideas to try the next day to expand your skills and take you to the next level.
Our last morning at the lodge, we say goodbye to our hosts and thank them for spoiling us during the week as we await the arrival of our charter. Once on board and wheels up we will enjoy the spectacular scenic flight back to Anchorage as we conclude the tour.
For those wishing to explore the Anchorage area before or after the tour, there are many photographic opportunities in this area or a short drive away. You could see the bore tide on your way to a glacier boat tour in Whittier, go fishing in scenic Seward or take the train and exploring Denali National Park. Feel free to contact us if you are looking to extend your vacation on this a trip of a lifetime.
Please visit our Grizzly Bears of Alaska gallery to see sample images.
The tour cost includes all the following amenities:
- Charter flight from Anchorage to Lake Clark (50lb luggage per person)
- 5 days/nights of lodging at a premier lodge in Lake Clark National Park, Alaska.
- Bear guide
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner while at the lodge
- All staff tips for the lodge
- Lake Clark National Park daily fees
- 1 night accommodation in Anchorage, Alaska on arrival.
- Instruction in the field with your photographer guide with a maximum of 6 photographer per guide
- Classroom workshop on photo editing techniques
What is not included:
- Dinner in Anchorage
- Transportation to/from Anchorage
- Alcoholic drinks
- If weathered in at the lodge a $100 per day paid directly to the lodge for food.
Prior to embarking on your journey, you will receive a phone consultation with your instructor for guidance on what equipment to bring, detailed questions on the locale, and general photography questions.
The cost for the tour is $4,695.00 based on double occupancy. We do not offer single accommodations for this tour due to the limited facilities at the lodge.
To reserve a spot on this tour, we require a $1,000 deposit per reservation. Please contact us via email or telephone and we will send you an invoice that can be paid by check or wire transfer for the deposit. All full tour payments must be made 90 days prior to the start of the tour.